It took a bit longer than I planned, but the Texas Tech pinwheel quilt is now complete. The delays during the week were mostly caused by a very cranky toddler with his first stomach bug. Between cleaning him up constantly, all of us taking showers several times a day, about 93876296349853 loads of laundry, and a sudden increase in my etsy orders, my quilt projects had to take a back seat. I’ll post a picture of the quilt and its new owner whenever I’m able to give it to him.
I discovered I really quite like doing the blindstitching for the binding. For my next quilt, I think I would like to try mitered borders and binding. I’m not quite sure how to do that just yet, but I’ll youtube it or something. If only I could convert my enjoyment for blindstitching into an enjoyment of hand quilting…. But I just hate having to put the quilt in a hoop, and I don’t have enough room to keep even a small frame out for very long without feeling claustrophobic. I would also like to machine stitch, but I don’t have to room to set that up either. So for now, it’s just tying.
I also used my darning foot for the first time on the label, and created possibly the uglist piece of embroidery in existence. Oh well. I’ll get better maybe. (I tried to get a picture, but it was so ugly even my camera refused to cooperate)
With my scraps I am making a matching cathedral windows pillow (using this tutorial), but this is only as far as I’ve gotten – I only do a bit of ironing here and there, so it’s taking a long time.
I’ve got the beginnings of another quilt idea stirring up in my brain, too. I bought some lovely delicate damask fabric a few weeks ago from this line, and I thought it was just too pretty to cut up into bow ties. I decided I’d like to make a whole queen sized quilt with it, so I’ve purchased the fabric for the top, and I hope to start on it at the end of June.