Yay! I’ve got pictures this time! AND I’ve actually finished a few things. No major projects, but a few little ones.
I finally got my blocks for the livejournal block of the month group I’m in. I picked out the fabrics two weeks ago, and got them cut a few days later, but I’ve only just lately been able to sew them. I’m very pleased with the way these turned out. After all the distortion I caused with super aggressive pressing on the bargello quilt, I am learning to press more carefully (and pay more attention to the direction I press). I have also started setting the seams before I press. I don’t know if it’s making a difference, but I’ll keep doing it. I also took the time to measure my seams this time, and discovered one of my machines doesn’t stitch at exactly 1/4″, so I marked it on the machine and sewed these with the proper seam.
The one major issue with these blocks is that I made a super dumb mistake and CUT THE PIECES TOO BIG, so now these two blocks are a full 1/2″ larger on all sides than they are supposed to be. Since the first blocks are the proper size, and these are so much larger, I don’t know what to do. I guess I’ll wait until this series is done and go from there. I don’t just want to cut off all the extra, since my points are nicer, but maybe by the time I’m finished I won’t care as much because my points will be AWESOME.
(I forgot to mention, this is where I got the block)
There are several reasons I didn’t like this quilt. First, I’m not a fan of pink and girly, but I have so much fabric, and I know there are plenty of little girls who LOVE this, so I went with it. Second, I did a terrible job of paying attention to my seams. This was originally supposed to be a rag quilt with 1/2″ seam allowances, but I only realized that partway in, and since I wasn’t doing a rag quilt, I had eyeballed the 1/4″ seams (this was before I measured and marked my machine), so then, instead of staying consistent, I did just stopped paying attention to seams altogether, so nothing matches up at all. Everything got all stretched and distorted as I sewed this, so that didn’t help either. The center square is puckered, and the seams don’t match in it’s corners, so borrowing from a book I recently read (called Quilty as Charged), I opted for goofy applique to cover some of the more glaring mistakes. I had also just recently, upon the advice of another, more experienced quilter, started following the free motion quilt blog by Leah Day, so I am using this quilt to practice a few really novice techniques. I guess one of the good things about having a quilt like this – one you make so many mistakes, one you don’t like very much – is that you learn a whole lot, and since you don’t have a lot of attachment, you can try new things without a lot of worry about how it looks. I haven’t finished the quilting with it all, but I plan to soon.
I’ve made zero progress on my other UFOs. This month is a total and complete failure on that front, and I’m a little ashamed of that. My etsy shop has been a lot busier than I anticipated, and I am so full of new and fresh quilting ideas that I worry if I don’t spend a little time on them, I’ll lose them (I’m reminded of a stack of fabric for a queen sized quilt that I haven’t cut yet, and a shipment of a beautiful line of Christmas fabrics that I fell in love with and decided I needed – still working on a design for that one). But I do have the projects out, and I will finish them at some point. Maybe the fall would be a better time for catching up on projects.